Friday, February 8, 2013

Sleep and Work

This week has been rough because I've had a cold. Ever since starting Enbrel, getting a cold is like sitting under a ton of bricks. The duration is the same as pre-Enbrel, but the severity is far worse. Wednesday, I practically fell asleep while teaching. While sick, I am completely incapable of doing anything but sleeping. I can't even watch TV in bed without falling asleep! I calculate that I spent about 40% of my 9 AM to 5 PM work time in bed this week.

Spending all this time in bed had me wondering how much work time I lose to RA when I am not sick with a cold or flu. On average, it's about 10%. Usually by Friday, I am so worn out from just living that I take a long afternoon nap. But losing 10% of my 9-5 work time does not make me less productive. Instead, I find myself working at night after the kids have gone to bed to stay on top of things. It's not so bad, since I generally like working on manuscripts and writing proposals. I guess what I'm trying to say is that this overwhelming fatigue comes at any time, and my flexible work schedule lets me manage my career. If I were in industry, I couldn't say the same.

I still have piercing pain in my shoulder from holding the baby, so I've decided to start exercising again and to take supplements (fish oil, calcium, probiotics). I'm hoping to throw everything at it and see what sticks.

No comments: