Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Lost Another Post-Doc to a Husband

For the second time this year, I have lost a female post-doc because their husband refused to let them work. In both instances, the women were internationals and their husbands were unemployed. Both women were visibly upset by the situation, wanting to work in the group- but unable to. Without this job, they must go back to their native country and search from abroad.

I don't meddle in personal affairs, so I wish them luck and tell them they can always come back. Now, I have an open post-doc position for a funded project and I've got to hire someone ASAP.

Comments are welcome.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grrrr!

Jenny F. Scientist, PhD said...

How about "aargh"?

Yael said...

Just reading this post made me want to throw things. Sorry about it JP, and my utmost sympathy to the postdoc who had to leave.

Anonymous said...

This is crazy, seems like a complicated power play move back to the home country. How long had they been working in your lab? I imagine its pretty disruptive to the research program.

Anonymous said...

I know PIs who have developed quite strong feelings against hiring women from certain countries because of these issues. It's messed up in so many ways.